Being an enthusiast laptop savvy, Evan Charles shares his wisdom on LaptopEcho to help others pick the right machine. He loves guiding people to get...
Lenovo is among the giant laptop manufacturers with a distinguished range of products worldwide. From laptops, desktops, tablets, and computer peripherals. Occasionally though, you may have witnessed that nothing happens when you press your laptop’s power button. This leaves you wondering, why is my Lenovo laptop not turning on?
While there are no specific reasons why your Lenovo laptop would not turn on, this problem might have various causes such as newly installed RAM, malfunctioning display, damaged battery, irregular voltage pulsing, wrong prior system operation, or hardware or software faults.
Most users who face this problem reported their Lenovo laptop failed to wake up from sleep mode; some stated that it was stuck in hibernation mode. You are here probably because you’ve had such an issue with your Lenovo laptop. In this article, we explain why a Lenovo laptop won’t turn on and how to fix it. Keep reading to discover more.
- There is no specific way to fix a Lenovo laptop that’s not turning on; the process involves trying out multiple basic to advanced troubleshooting techniques.
- Before performing a hard reset on your Lenovo laptop, ensure you’ve backed up all your valuable data.
- When replacing/upgrading your computer components, such as the RAM, always confirm its compatibility before installing to avoid turning on failure.
- If you are unsure of what you’re doing, NEVER alter your computer’s BIOS or registry settings.
- Why Is My Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On?
- How to Fix a Lenovo Laptop that’s Not Turning On?
- How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On No Power Light?
- How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On But Charging?
- How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On After Sleep?
- How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On Unless Plugged In
- How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Starting After Update?
Why Is My Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On?
It’s no doubt that Lenovo offers great machines such as laptop for insurance agents, web developers, graphic designers, gamers, etc. However, these machines are bound to experience power faults and may fail to power on.
As earlier mentioned, there are several reasons behind Lenovo laptop not starting up black screen. The cause can either be software or hardware-related. Suppose your computer doesn’t turn on even when connected to a charger. In that case, it could have a problem with the power supply, power button, RAM, video card, motherboard, or improper prior settings.
If your Lenovo laptop is not turning on, don’t worry. There is a quick solution to fix it that works in most situations. First, unplug your laptop charger, then remove the battery from the machine. Press your laptop’s power button and hold it for roughly 30 seconds. After that, connect your laptop to AC power and turn it on; don’t put back the battery yet. If the machine turns on, shut it down and reinstall the battery.
Here is a summary chart of possible causes of your Lenovo laptop not turning on and their effective solutions:
|Faulty power cord||Check power from the wall socket, or replace your charger.|
|Battery problem||Force restart, Hard reset, drain your battery entirely or Replace the battery.|
|Black screen/ no display||Check your screen brightness, test display, or connect to an external monitor and reset display settings.|
|Display driver problem||Update all drivers and restart your machine.|
|Internal hardware problem/ incompatible hardware.||Remove recently installed hardware. Check RAM compatibility (Speed).|
|Overheating||Shut down your computer, and let it cool down.|
|Memory fault||Reset computer memory.|
|BIOS issue||Reset BIOS, replace CMOS battery or use the NOVO button.|
|Faulty motherboard||Consult a certified technician to repair or replace the motherboard.|
How to Fix a Lenovo Laptop that’s Not Turning On?
Even though Lenovo laptops are reliable, some common problems may often arise; one is the laptop not turning on. Identifying the cause can help you resolve the issue quickly. Here is how to check and fix a Lenovo laptop that’s not turning on:
Check The Power Cord/ Charging Adaptor.
One of the most straightforward troubleshooting procedures is inspecting your laptop’s power cable, charging adaptor, and wall outlet. Check if the cables are damaged, twisted, or burnt. You can also check whether or not the charging adaptor provides your laptop with sufficient power.
- Step 1: Plug the power adaptor into your laptop and switch on the wall outlet.
- Step 2: Check the power status LED light indicator. If it is on, your power adaptor is working. Otherwise, check the wall outlet or consider repairing/replacing your power adaptor.
Check For Overheating
Normally, internal components of a laptop consume power and generate to much heat. When your computer runs for a prolonged period without proper cooling, the heat might damage the internal components. The integrated heat protection turns off the laptop to safeguard these components to prevent further damage.
If your Lenovo laptop won’t turn on, but the fan runs or turns off by itself and feels hot, it’s probably due to overheating.
- Step 1: Turn off your laptop. If you can’t see anything on your screen, force shut down by long-pressing the power button until your computer shuts down.
- Step 2: Let it rest for approximately one hour. If your machine has a removable battery, pull it out and re-insert it later when turning on.
- Step 3: Turn your laptop on after it’s completely cooled.
Check The Battery
Generally, laptop batteries wear out over time and become ineffective or stop working completely. If your Lenovo laptop turns on when connected to a power adaptor but doesn’t when on battery, it’s an indication that you have a bad battery. You should consider replacing it.
Check For Residual Power Problems.
Residual power is the remaining battery power from when you last used it. It’s usually stored in the capacitors. Sometimes residuary power can cause problems with your Lenovo laptop turning on. Here is how to fix it:
- Step 1: Shut down your computer. Flip to the back side and pull out the battery.
- Step 2: Disconnect all external peripherals.
- Step 3: Press the power button ten times consecutively.
- Step 4: Press the power button again and hold it for roughly thirty seconds.
- Step 5: Connect the power adaptor and power on your laptop without a battery.
- Step 6: Let your computer boot, then follow the right process to turn it off.
- Step 7: Return the battery and power on your laptop.
Update Laptop Drivers
Outdated drivers can sometimes cause your computer to act up. Keeping your laptop drivers updated can help prevent or fix issues with your Lenovo laptop not turning on.
Check For Newly Installed Hardware.
If you recently installed new hardware, especially an incompatible RAM, it could potentially cause your Lenovo laptop not to turn on. Remove any newly installed hardware and replace it with a compatible one. Always check for compatibility before upgrading or replacing your laptop components.
Reset Your Laptop
Almost all Lenovo laptops have a reset button that lets you refresh the laptop and fix common problems like not turning on. Here is how to:
- Step 1: Shut down your computer and unplug all external peripherals.
- Step 2: Unplug the power adaptor.
- Step 3: Turn your laptop upside-down and remove the battery.
- Step 4: Look for the reset button hole (usually a tiny hole at the backside of the laptop).
- Step 5: Use a needle or paper clip to press the reset button and hold it down for three seconds.
- Step 6: Re-insert the battery and turn on your laptop.
If your Lenovo laptop does not have a reset button, use the power button instead. Press and hold it for roughly a minute.
How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On No Power Light?
When your Lenovo Laptop won’t turn on, and there’s no power light beside the adapter cable, first check the power status LED indicator on the charging adaptor. If it’s not on, check your wall outlet or your charger. If it’s on, it means the issue is on your computer.
Remove the battery and turn your laptop on using the charger. Press the power button and observe if the power light turns on. If your computer is turning on, consider replacing your battery. However, in case, after plugging in the charger, there’s still no power light, follow these steps to reset your laptop:
- Step 1: Unplug the power cable and remove the battery.
- Step 2: Press the power button ten times consecutively.
- Step 3: Afterwards, press and hold the power button for about a minute.
- Step 4: Now, put back the battery, plug the charger, and turn on your laptop.
If your laptop does not turn on after the reset process above, there could be a severe problem with the motherboard; consider seeking professional advice.
How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On But Charging?
Among the many Lenovo power-related problems, some users experience a charging laptop but can’t power it on. There are various causes for this as well as a few possible solutions. First, check your charger power rating; probably, it’s not supplying enough power to your laptop. Also, check your laptop battery. It could be dead or not holding charge.
If both the power adaptor and battery are working correctly, follow the above procedure to reset your computer.
How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On After Sleep?
If you are unable to wake your Lenovo laptop from sleep or hibernate mode, check the setting below in the control panel:
- Step 1: Click the Windows logo at the bottom left corner of the taskbar.
- Step 2: Select [Control Panel].
- Step 3: Click [Hardware and Sound] and select [Power Options].
- Step 4: Go to [Edit Plan Settings] and choose [Change Advanced Power Setting]
- Step 5: Set [Power on Battery] to ‘Available.’
How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Turning On Unless Plugged In
Try performing a hard reset to fix this issue. If your laptop model has a dedicated reset button, remove the battery and disconnect the power adaptor. Use a pin or paper clip to press the reset button; hold it down for about five seconds before releasing.
Hold the power button for roughly one minute after removing the charger and battery for models with no reset button. Re-insert the battery and turn on your computer. If nothing happens, you should consider replacing your battery or have your laptop’s motherboard checked by a professional.
How To Fix Lenovo Laptop Not Starting After Update?
It’s a common experience for Lenovo laptops and all brands to fail to start after performing a software update. All you need to do is restore your computer to its previous state by booting into safe mode to fix this issue.
- Step 1: Power on your Lenovo laptop.
- Step 2: immediately press the [F8] key until you see the [Advanced Boot Options] window.
- Step 3: Use the arrow keys to navigate and then press enter to select [Safe Mode].
- Step 4: While in safe mode, restore your laptop to a previous state before updating.
- Step 5: Restart your machine
A laptop not turning on can be scary, especially for first-time users. While how to turn on a Lenovo laptop shouldn’t be a struggle for any user, a few power-related issues can make this an uphill task. Fortunately, most of these causes, if not all of them, can easily be fixed without expert experience.
If you have experienced any issues with your Lenovo laptop not turning on, we have discussed some easy-fix procedures for you to try. Use the comment section below to give us feedback on which one worked for you.
Remember, laptops are sensitive electronic devices bound to have problems from regular use. However, no need to worry; it will work as long as you don’t severely damage your laptop. If it still doesn’t turn on after trying all the procedures above, you may have to contact Lenovo for further help.